· Sunshine is a great source of Vitamin D. Many of us are Vitamin D deficient, especially in the winter. Sunlight has also been shown to decrease depression. The happens to be a very sunny place.
· Seawater helps preserve your skin’s elasticity. Did you know the ocean is full of anti-aging minerals that can counter the decline of your skin’s elasticity? That’s a good reason to go for a swim!
· Being at the beach forces you to unplug, which lowers your stress levels. Sure, you might snap a picture or two to put on Instagram later… but if you’re at the beach, you won’t be glued to your phone answering work emails.
· You’ll sleep better after spending the day by the sea. After a few hours spent at the beach, your body will be primed for better sleep.
· Going to the beach can improve your body’s ability to fight off infections. The iodine in ocean water is a wonderful immune system booster. It’s a natural antiseptic and even helps boost the function of your thyroid gland. You’ll notice a painful sting when an open cut is exposed to salt water, and that’s a sign that your wound is being cleansed.
· You’ll have ample opportunities to exercise, which is great for your physical health. If you’re looking to get into better shape, try jogging at the beach—the sand will make running tougher and you’ll break a sweat sooner. There’s also surfing, swimming, volleyball or a good old-fashioned brisk walk.
· The sand is a natural exfoliant for your skin. You’ll slough off dead skin cells on your feet and hands without even trying.
· The color blue is a subconscious soother. The arousal mechanism stimulated by blue’s wavelengths correlates to the release of neurotransmitters associated with feelings of euphoria. So looking at the ocean is relaxing. It’s science!
· Are your joints stiff? There is evidence that minerals in the ocean reduce symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis patients who use bath salts tend to experience fewer flare ups. Guess what else can reduce arthritis symptoms? You guessed it: Vitamin D.
· You’ll reconnect with yourself and your spirit. Whether or not you’re a spiritual person, there’s something about being by the ocean that puts you into a meditative state. The vastness of the sea, expansive horizon and beautiful surroundings make you truly appreciate nature, and you’ll leave feeling more at peace.